What Are Your C-Store Consistency Challenges?
If you saw The Founder, starring Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc, you likely identified with a scene where — not long after opening the first few out-of-state McDonald’s franchises — Kroc visits a location where standards aren’t being met.
The property is covered with litter. The franchisees have abandoned the official menu. The place has become a hangout for teens, who have driven away families.
Ray Kroc knew that consistency was the cornerstone of building a more profitable brand and winning market share from Mom and Pop stores with less sophisticated operations.
The consistency challenge falls into two main categories:
• Consistency of store brand and design: From road-facing signage to the interior, creating an inviting brand and making sure it gets realized consistently in all locations. This assures the customer they’ll have the same great experience that they had at another location 50 miles away.
• Consistency of operations: Making sure staff can support your brand experience, sales strategy and maintain standards.
We talk to a lot of C-store operators. They often tell us that making sure key elements — such as signage that supports a seasonal promotion — get put up properly, and comes down on time is important. Property maintenance is another key concern affecting modern C-stores.
The more locations you have, the harder it is to police. Multiple-location C-store owners and operators have better things to do than constantly call managers on the phone or drive around nitpicking.
What are your consistency challenges?
We have our thoughts on how to answer some of these challenges, but we really want to hear from you: What are your chief consistency challenges? Get in touch.
- Attracting The Right Franchisees
- What It Takes to Go From 10 to 100 Locations
- Are West Coast Convenience Stores Missing an Opportunity in QSR?
- Grocery's Size Problem: The Ideal Square Footage
- Progressive Grocer - April 2018: Store of the Month, Jewel-Osco
- PG Web Extra: Progressive Grocer - April 2018: Store of the Month, Jewel-Osco
- Manifesting Your Brand into a Physical Space: Focusing on the Customer Experience
- How C-Stores Are Stealing Customers from Grocery Stores
- Progressive Grocer - June 2017: Store of the Month, Fairway
- CSP: 25 Great C-Store Designs
- 2016 Consumer Study: Online, In-Store, and Everything In-Between
- VMSD - 2016 Look Book
- Shopper Insights Study: Close Look at Fast Food Restaurants
- Shopper Insights Study: Close Look at Convenience Stores
- 2015 Consumer Study: Evolving Attitudes On When, Where, and How We Shop
- Convenience Store News - Refueling Center of the Future
- KRS Expanding East With Cincinnati Design/Build Office
- The Bilateral Shopper. We Are Someone Else When We Shop Online.
- Study: Tapping Into the Value of Farmers Markets
- ROI of Store Design - Branding
- ROI of Store Design - Space Planning & Design
- ROI of Store Design - Integrity in Rollout
- The New Retail Frontier - Adding Locations Is Just One of Many Options
- VMSD - Mile High Style
- PG Web Extra: Design Secrets of Fairway’s Georgetown Store
- 2017 Liquor Law Changes: How Has Your State Been Affected?
- How to Create a Cult Following for Your QSR Chain