King Retail Solutions (KRS) will be speaking this week at the 2012 Retailing Summit conference in Dallas, TX discussing the results of a consumer research survey the retail design firm conducted this past summer.
Approximately 1,000 consumers*, from across the US, were polled on how they perceive and value the retail environment in grocery stores, home goods providers, and clothing retailers. What elements of the shopping experience appeal most? How does the experience of shopping at a favorite retailer make them feel?
Survey takers were then asked to rank their most frequented retailers in order of most frequented, second most frequented (if any), and third most frequented (if any) in each category. Results were then normalized.
Interestingly, big box retailers topped each list. But beyond looking for the lowest price, consumers trended towards shopping where they could find an overarching value. For example, independent retailers, which KRS represented as a group in order to show their popularity as a whole, ranked in the top 15 for each category.
On the survey results, executive vice president, Andrew Swedenborg, who will be speaking at the Retailing Summit, commented, “Numbers are a great indicator. It’s our job to keep our finger on the pulse of what people are thinking, feeling, and perceiving about their shopping experiences. What we’ve found is that people will say one thing and then they do it sometimes, and sometimes they don’t. Shoppers aren’t easy to understand. They’re complex. But we think this study provides real insight into where consumers are spending their time and dollars and how they feel about that.”
To download this study as a PDF, please complete this brief form.
*Millennial, Generation X, and Baby Boomer respondents were equally represented, as were male and female respondents. Respondents came from a wide range of income levels across the continguous US states.
- Manifesting Your Brand into a Physical Space: Focusing on the Customer Experience
- How C-Stores Are Stealing Customers from Grocery Stores
- CSP: 25 Great C-Store Designs
- PG Web Extra: Design Secrets of Fairway’s Georgetown Store
- What Are Your C-Store Consistency Challenges? We Want To Know.
- 2017 Liquor Law Changes: How Has Your State Been Affected?
- 2016 Consumer Study: Online, In-Store, and Everything In-Between
- Grocery Business - The Store of the Future
- VMSD - 2016 Look Book
- Shopper Insights Study: Close Look at Fast Food Restaurants
- Décor Reseller - How POP Displays Contribute to a Store's Success
- Progressive Grocer - Design Plus
- Photos From KRS & Kroger's 2015 Cincinnati Shoptalk (ARE)
- VMSD - Mile High Style
- Retail Touchpoints - Special Report
- KRS Expands Creative Team
- Store Brands Magazine - Give Them Reasons to Return
- The New Retail Frontier - Adding Locations Is Just One of Many Options
- 2015 Consumer Study: Evolving Attitudes On When, Where, and How We Shop
- Shopper Insights Study: Close Look at Convenience Stores
- Study: Tapping Into the Value of Farmers Markets
- Convenience Store News - Refueling Center of the Future
- The Bilateral Shopper. We Are Someone Else When We Shop Online.
- VMSD - 2015 Look Book
- KRS Expanding East With Cincinnati Design/Build Office
- Innovating the Box - KRS Speaking at Furniture Today Leadership Conference
- KRS Speaking at SEGD, DC. Solving the Designer's Dilemma
- Retail Leader - 2014 Trends Survey, From Recession to... Who Knows?
- Business Insider - What the Grocery Store of the Future Will Look Like
- KRS Hitting Chicago Like a Produce Truck
- Convenience Store News - Exclusive
- Retail Design Institute - 43rd Annual Int'l Store Design Awards
- Study: Traditional Retail Categories Are Blurring
- CSNews - Store of the Month Green Zebra
- Texas Tradition Meets Whole Foods Attitude in Dallas
- Video Tour - 2013 Retail Design Award Winners
- Chain Store Age - Stores of the Future
- VMSD - 2014 Look Book
- Retail Design Blog - Green Zebra Portland
- ROI of Store Design - Integrity in Rollout
- CSNews - Store of the Month MyGoods Market Takes Flight
- Happy Holidays From KRS
- Retail Leader - Make Way for the Millennials
- JWT Intelligence - Retail Rebooted
- B of A Small Business - Culture, Fit, and Aptitude
- ROI of Store Design - Space Planning & Design
- Progressive Grocer - 2013 Retail Design Awards
- ROI of Store Design - Branding
- Designing the Future
- C-Store Canada - Design for the Bottom Line
- Viability of Blurring Retail Categories
- Retail Leader - Channel-Blurring, Price-Matching
- DDi - GlobalShop Speaker Sound Bites
- CEO Blog Nation - Should You be a Business Rebel?
- Portland State Panel: Tomorrow's Leaders
- Starbucks Awards KRS Team
- New H.Y. Louie Concept: Fresh St. Market in West Vancouver
- The Register-Guard - Where Craft is King
- The Incredible Shrinking Expansion
- VMSD - The Goods
- Business Insider - Store of the Future
- SoLoMo Webinar - Marketing 2.0 for Retailers
- Entrepreneur - A Sneak Peek at the Store of the Future
- Non-Traditional Retailers Creating Retail Experience
- Understanding Today's Shopper
- Progressive Grocer, ARE, and others cover KRS' Consumer Survey
- Design Lodge - Influence the Customer, Dominate the Market
- Andrew's Chicago Restaurant Picks for IRDC
- Retail Leader - How Much is a Facelift Worth?
- Pizza Today - The Price of a Remodel
- One Step Retail Solutions - Feature
- Travel + Leisure - America's Worst Airports
- Progressive Grocer - June 2017: Store of the Month, Fairway