This year the International Retail Design Conference heads to Chicago for its 2012 educational and networking event for retail design professionals. KRS' creative leaders look forward to attending the IRDC again this year fresh on the heels of winning VMSD retail renovation of the year in 2011 for our design of Robért Fresh Market, New Orleans.
Want to know where you MUST eat while in Chicago? KRS' EVP, Andrew Swedenborg, called Chicago home prior to moving to the Pacific Northwest, and shares his "Can't Miss" food spots for IRDC 2012 (all within a seven-iron of the Renaissance Chicago Hotel).
Top Choice... Mr. Beef (map)
This place is ideal for a classic Chicago beef. Also a classic instance of no frills function, not to mention beef, triumphing over form. Down and dirty and delicious. May we recommend the Breakfast Beef as the perfect pick-me-up meal after a late night out. Mmmm Mr. Beef.
Snacks and Vino... Bin 36 (map)
Lavish selection of wines, cheeses, meats, entrees, and desserts in a great space. The atmosphere is laid back and the menu extensive.
Fresh Produce and Prepared... Chicago French Market (map)
An in-door collection of over twenty local food stalls in the Euro fashion. The worst part about this eclectic space is choosing just one or two eateries to patronize, honestly. Favorites include Saigon Sisters Vietnamese food and Pastoral gourmet cheese and sandwiches.
For People Watching... Hub 51 (map)
Great food, great people, great club. Hub 51 was created by Jerrod and RJ Melman, sons of Lettuce Entertain You founder Rich Melman, and creating "ermagersh" gastronomic experiences is clearly in this family's blood. Hub 51 is at once a great restaurant, a great bar, and a see-and-be-seen spot all within a gorgeous space.
Coffee... Intelligencia (map)
Best coffee in the city. Period. It's frickin' great.
Oprah's Old Stomping Ground... La Sardine (map)
When in Rome Chicago... Lou Malnati's Pizzeria (map)
Where Local Foodies Go... Naha (map)
For the Bubbly... Pops (map)
Get Yo Lounge On... Redhead Piano Bar (map)
Get Yo Noodle On... Slurping Turtle (map)
In Andrew's own words, "I could go on and on..." If you have any questions for KRS' resident Chicago tour guide, feel free to shoot us an email. Otherwise, we hope this list comes in handy for those of you traveling to the windy city and look forward to IRDC next week and hopefully seeing you there.
images via 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
- Progressive Grocer - April 2018: Store of the Month, Jewel-Osco
- PG Web Extra: Progressive Grocer - April 2018: Store of the Month, Jewel-Osco
- Manifesting Your Brand into a Physical Space: Focusing on the Customer Experience
- How C-Stores Are Stealing Customers from Grocery Stores
- CSP: 25 Great C-Store Designs
- Progressive Grocer - June 2017: Store of the Month, Fairway
- PG Web Extra: Design Secrets of Fairway’s Georgetown Store
- What Are Your C-Store Consistency Challenges? We Want To Know.
- 2017 Liquor Law Changes: How Has Your State Been Affected?
- 2016 Consumer Study: Online, In-Store, and Everything In-Between
- Grocery Business - The Store of the Future
- VMSD - 2016 Look Book
- Shopper Insights Study: Close Look at Fast Food Restaurants
- Décor Reseller - How POP Displays Contribute to a Store's Success
- Progressive Grocer - Design Plus
- Photos From KRS & Kroger's 2015 Cincinnati Shoptalk (ARE)
- VMSD - Mile High Style
- Retail Touchpoints - Special Report
- KRS Expands Creative Team
- Store Brands Magazine - Give Them Reasons to Return
- The New Retail Frontier - Adding Locations Is Just One of Many Options
- 2015 Consumer Study: Evolving Attitudes On When, Where, and How We Shop
- Shopper Insights Study: Close Look at Convenience Stores
- Study: Tapping Into the Value of Farmers Markets
- Convenience Store News - Refueling Center of the Future
- The Bilateral Shopper. We Are Someone Else When We Shop Online.
- VMSD - 2015 Look Book
- KRS Expanding East With Cincinnati Design/Build Office
- Innovating the Box - KRS Speaking at Furniture Today Leadership Conference
- KRS Speaking at SEGD, DC. Solving the Designer's Dilemma
- Retail Leader - 2014 Trends Survey, From Recession to... Who Knows?
- Business Insider - What the Grocery Store of the Future Will Look Like
- KRS Hitting Chicago Like a Produce Truck
- Convenience Store News - Exclusive
- Retail Design Institute - 43rd Annual Int'l Store Design Awards
- Study: Traditional Retail Categories Are Blurring
- CSNews - Store of the Month Green Zebra
- Texas Tradition Meets Whole Foods Attitude in Dallas
- Video Tour - 2013 Retail Design Award Winners
- Chain Store Age - Stores of the Future
- VMSD - 2014 Look Book
- Retail Design Blog - Green Zebra Portland
- ROI of Store Design - Integrity in Rollout
- CSNews - Store of the Month MyGoods Market Takes Flight
- Happy Holidays From KRS
- Retail Leader - Make Way for the Millennials
- JWT Intelligence - Retail Rebooted
- B of A Small Business - Culture, Fit, and Aptitude
- ROI of Store Design - Space Planning & Design
- Progressive Grocer - 2013 Retail Design Awards
- ROI of Store Design - Branding
- Designing the Future
- C-Store Canada - Design for the Bottom Line
- Viability of Blurring Retail Categories
- Retail Leader - Channel-Blurring, Price-Matching
- DDi - GlobalShop Speaker Sound Bites
- CEO Blog Nation - Should You be a Business Rebel?
- Portland State Panel: Tomorrow's Leaders
- Starbucks Awards KRS Team
- New H.Y. Louie Concept: Fresh St. Market in West Vancouver
- The Register-Guard - Where Craft is King
- The Incredible Shrinking Expansion
- VMSD - The Goods
- Business Insider - Store of the Future
- SoLoMo Webinar - Marketing 2.0 for Retailers
- Entrepreneur - A Sneak Peek at the Store of the Future
- Non-Traditional Retailers Creating Retail Experience
- Understanding Today's Shopper
- Study: Consumer Response to Environment
- Progressive Grocer, ARE, and others cover KRS' Consumer Survey
- Design Lodge - Influence the Customer, Dominate the Market
- Retail Leader - How Much is a Facelift Worth?
- Pizza Today - The Price of a Remodel
- One Step Retail Solutions - Feature
- Travel + Leisure - America's Worst Airports