As covered by NACS, Convenience Store News, Convenience Store and Fuel News, and multiple other news sites, the results of a Winter 2015 survey of 550 consumers, conducted by retail design firm King Retail Solutions (“KRS”) emphasizes the value of friendly service, good food, and fair prices (as well as multiple other factors) in operating a convenience store that’s well-loved by U.S. shoppers.
KRS identified and surveyed 40 top rated convenience stores/chains in 22 cities from 4 distinct regions (West, Midwest, South, and Northeast) around the country. The 550 most recent Yelp! reviews (~140 from each region) were analyzed. Any pros and cons mentioned were identified and catalogued. The published study, “Close Look at Convenience Stores,” represents the results of that analysis.
The data is further broken down by gender (men’s versus women’s responses) as well as region of the U.S. For example, cleanliness ranks as a Top 3 quality for Southerners but does not rank in the Top 3 for any other region of the U.S. While fresh prepared food is a Top 3 in all regions except the West.
The study also breaks out the Top 4 benefits sited by shoppers for some of the top-rated retailers nationwide, breaking down those qualities by retailer. For example, 90% of their shoppers mentioned low prices as a benefit of shopping at ampm (BP).
An accompanying article and analysis of the survey results includes a list of ways convenience store retailers can create a convenience store experience shoppers can’t live without (or at least one they would write rave reviews about).
To download this study as a PDF, please complete this brief form.
- Grocery's Size Problem: The Ideal Square Footage
- Progressive Grocer - April 2018: Store of the Month, Jewel-Osco
- PG Web Extra: Progressive Grocer - April 2018: Store of the Month, Jewel-Osco
- Manifesting Your Brand into a Physical Space: Focusing on the Customer Experience
- How C-Stores Are Stealing Customers from Grocery Stores
- Progressive Grocer - June 2017: Store of the Month, Fairway
- CSP: 25 Great C-Store Designs
- 2016 Consumer Study: Online, In-Store, and Everything In-Between
- VMSD - 2016 Look Book
- Shopper Insights Study: Close Look at Fast Food Restaurants
- 2015 Consumer Study: Evolving Attitudes On When, Where, and How We Shop
- Convenience Store News - Refueling Center of the Future
- KRS Expanding East With Cincinnati Design/Build Office
- The Bilateral Shopper. We Are Someone Else When We Shop Online.
- Study: Tapping Into the Value of Farmers Markets
- ROI of Store Design - Branding
- ROI of Store Design - Space Planning & Design
- ROI of Store Design - Integrity in Rollout
- The New Retail Frontier - Adding Locations Is Just One of Many Options
- VMSD - Mile High Style
- PG Web Extra: Design Secrets of Fairway’s Georgetown Store
- What Are Your C-Store Consistency Challenges? We Want To Know.
- 2017 Liquor Law Changes: How Has Your State Been Affected?